Today, the City of Austin, Travis County, and Williamson County issued shelter-in-place orders. The orders are in effect through April 13, 2020.
The orders include exemptions for essential activities, such as grocery shopping and working for essential business, such as health care, law enforcement, and grocery stores.
From the City of Austin:
Examples of essential businesses include:
- Grocery stores, farmers’ markets, food banks, convenience stores, carry-out or delivery restaurants
- Hospitals, pharmacies, clinics, veterinary offices and other healthcare service facilities
- Childcare facilities providing services that enable essential employees to continue functioning
- Gas stations and auto repair facilities
- Banks and financial institutions
- Critical infrastructure including energy, water, solid waste collection and other governmental services
- Hardware stores, plumbers, electricians, and other service providers necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences and other essential businesses
- Educational institutions, for the purposes of facilitating distance learning
- Businesses that provide social services and necessities of life for economically disadvantaged individuals and shelter facilities
- Businesses that ship or deliver groceries, food, and goods directly to residences or maintain essential business supply chains
- Roles required for any Essential Business to “maintain basic operations,” which include security, payroll, and similar activities
Examples of essential activities include:
- Health and safety: obtaining healthcare, emergency services, medical supplies, or medications
- Necessary supplies and services: obtaining groceries and food, pet food, and supplies necessary for staying at home
- Outdoor activity and exercise: engaging in outdoor activity, such as walking, hiking, or running provided that individuals maintain at least six feet of social distancing
- Austin Parks and Recreation Department has closed and prohibited the use of the City's playgrounds and exercise equipment stations. Parks and hike/bike trails will remain open.
- Essential work and services: performing work at an essential business, which includes all services needed to ensure the continuing operation of critical infrastructure to maintain the health, safety and welfare of the public
- Care for others: caring for a family member, the elderly, minors, dependents, persons with disabilities, or other vulnerable persons in another household