The City of Austin Economic Development Department will host a series of virtual and in-person sessions to help Austin’s small businesses, creatives, cooperatives, and non-profits during Austin Small Business Week, May 1-5. Participants will have access to a variety of educational topics including small business management, marketing, finance, legal considerations, and more. All classes and events are open to the public at no-cost.
Austin Small Business Week will kick off on Monday, May 1 at 8:30 a.m. with the State of Small Business in Austin—Breakfast and Panel Discussion. U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Region VI Administrator, Edward ‘Ted’ James, II, will discuss how small businesses are faring in Texas and nationwide. Following his address, a three-member panel will discuss what is happening in the Austin small business community, and how they can stay ahead of a potential impact of a recession.
"We are proud to have supported over 3,500 small businesses through ongoing programming at the City of Austin,” says Susana Carbajal, Deputy Director of the Economic Development Department. “We are committed to the success of our local small businesses, and we believe that initiatives such as Austin Small Business Week will further strengthen and expand our small business community."
Monday, May 1, 2023
- State of Small Business in Austin–Breakfast and Panel Discussion
- Starting (or Rebuilding) Your Own Business
- The Commercial Development Process from Start to Finish
Tuesday, May 2, 2023
- Marketing 101: Establishing Your Brand
- Marketing 102: Leveraging Social Media for Growth
- BizAid Business Orientation
- BizOpen: Commercial Property Requirements
- What to Know Before You Buy or Lease
Wednesday, May 3, 2023
- Explore Funding Options for Your Small Business
- Digital Marketing Psychology
- Simple Fundraising Strategies for Non-profits
- Health Insurance for the Small Business
Thursday, May 4, 2023
- The Basics of Human Resources
- How to Start a Cooperative
- Workshop: Planning to Recruit & Hire New Employees
- Pre-Certification and Government Contracting 101 Workshop
Friday, May 5, 2023
These events honor the entrepreneurial spirit in Austin in conjunction with the National Small Business Week celebration. For more than 50 years, the U.S. Small Business Administration has celebrated National Small Business Week, which recognizes the critical contributions of America’s entrepreneurs and small business owners. Locally, community partners will also offer small business training classes including Economic Growth Business Incubator (EGBI),SCORE Austin, and PeopleFund.
Registration for Austin Small Business Week sessions is open to the public at no-cost. Learn more about business coaching and training opportunities at www.SmallBizAustin.org.